Friday, January 6, 2012

Warlock Round up -- Kaya1 Part 1

Prime Kaya is a very interesting warlock. Her signature spell is spirit door, allowing you to teleport models in your battle group around the battlefield, though they can not attack or move once teleported. This allows for a lot of yo-yo style strategies with her. She also has a fury management spell, a very solid nuke in spirit fang, and occultation. The main thing that makes spirit fang a solid nuke is the ability too lower a targets defense with a boosted attack so the rest of your army can hit it easier.

To start out trying Kaya1 I decided to try and make her tier list work. My first list I brought to the table was.

Kaya the Wildborne (*6pts)
* Pureblood Warpwolf (9pts)
* Shadowhorn Satyr (7pts)
* Warpwolf Stalker (10pts)
Reeves of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Reeves of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts) (5pts)
Wolves of Orboros (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Wolf of Orboros Officer & Standard (2pts)
Reeve Hunter (2pts)
War Wolf (1pts)
War Wolf (1pts)
War Wolf (1pts)
War Wolf (1pts)
War Wolf (1pts)
Wolflord Morraig (5pts)

I enjoyed playing this list. One of the key strategies was to position my Shadowhorn Satyr in a position where he can bounding leap next to heavies toss them at my army then remove them from the table with my warpwolves. All the while keeping my heavies safe from counter attacks with spirit door. I believe this to be an effective strategy for heavy removal, but I find the list isn't capable of dealing with elite infantry or very heavy swarms. This was a bit surprising and can be due to my lack of experience with it. Or maybe due to the fact my opponent was Kallus, who I've decided can be a real nightmare. His feat when properly executed makes his army very powerful at jamming you.
Turn 1 after Kallus moved up.

I lost the game vs. Kallus due to over extending on an assassination run when I thought the situation was too desperate to fight out normally. In hindsight I do think I would've done a better job fighting him then I had originally thought. The stalker's berserk and the fact my Shadowhorn Satyr tossed me a Carnivean early on to gobble up means I should've been able to effectively weather his feat though it was going to hurt.

I did play another game vs. a Retribution player, but I'm not counting it as 1 of my 2 games due to it being a 35 point game. Though I did learn how to move my army along and that the Gnarlhorn Satyr is very effective with Kaya. In the end I was able to kill Kaelyssa, but the game was very well fought by one our newest members of our gaming group, Roman.

So far with Kaya1
0-1 50 pts.
1-0 35 pts.

One more game to go! I wanted to post this now though before I forgot everything. The next list I plan on trying won't be a tier list. I feel the reeves just aren't worth their points. Snap fire and cra aren't very synergistic abilities and a base rat 5 makes it hard to reposition and still hit valuable targets.

I should be able to rap up Kaya1 this weekend and hopefully start on a new warcaster, who I'm hoping to be Cassius due to having the battle engine, which I'm hoping can hide his tree well.



No comments:

Post a Comment