Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Bones of Orboros - Krueger vs. Orion

I haven't played or even seriously looked at Warmachine since last year's Lock and Load. Started looking at different games. Painting lots of different models.
Deathwatch Squad.
I've been exploring a lot of other games. Played a ton of board games at Kingdom Con ... and I mean a lot ... I broke the games down into favorite to least favorite experiences(not game mechanics). The caveat I want to add is that a lot of these games are first impressions which changes as you get to play them more.

1. Cthulhu Wars - Something very compelling about having a battle vs. other ancient gods.
2. Dice Forge - Fresh experience of creating your own dice and it feels well designed.
3. CLANK! - I enjoy deck builders a lot and this is a very fresh take on that type.
4. Evolution the Beginning - Great quick game with solid tactical options.
5. Rising Sun - Great game. Only reason it's not higher on the list is we only had a 3 player game of it and I feel it's better at a higher number.
6. Mansions of Madness - Great narrative experience.
7. Rock, Paper, WIZARD - Super goofy fun. Fun game that can be played by anyone.
8. Lords of Hellas - Solid game, well designed, but your in it for the long haul. Takes awhile to play and has lots of chunky rules you need to get through before you understand everything.
9. Space Alert - Craziness. I didn't enjoy it due to the con being so loud and a real time game with an audio feature doesn't play well. I'd love to try in a different environment.
10. Scythe - Meh. Best feature is it's replayability. Fantasy doesn't match it's mechanics. Solid choices for the player to make, but I walked away unimpressed. (2nd time playing)
I might of played something else as well, but doesn't bode well for it if I don't remember.
Cthulhu Wars
I decided to give Warmachine a real look again since I have missed playing. I haven't seriously played Circle since Mk1 and while I love trolls I got pretty excited about playing Circle again.

I painted up a new Krueger2 list based on some advice by a friend who's been actively playing. Thanks Keith! While I had owned and painted most of the models previously, I painted up a Wold Warden, Stonehapersx3, Krueger2 and a Blackclad Wayfarer.


Took the new list out for a drive tonight. Played vs. Orion and I have to admit lots of gallows and a few tk's later I started to fall in love with the list. Game ended as a solid win, but I definitely learned in the future to not get super greedy. Even low chance caster assassinations are scary when you put someone in a corner and make that their last chance to victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment